UPCOMING EVENTS"Little Known Secrets of Paying for College - A Webinar"
A free, community webinar with the College Funding Coach, hosted by DRHS PTSO.
6:30 PM - 7:30 PM
OCTOBER 4, 2021
Each year our College Funding Coach Team partners with Deep Run’s PTSO to teach our free workshop called “Little-Known Secrets of Paying for College”. Parents who have attended our workshop in the past have expressed how useful and invaluable the information we share is, so we’ve always made sure to visit Deep Run each fall. Due to COVID, unfortunately we will need to hold virtually again. We will be streaming our free workshop as a webinar. The webinar will run approximately 1 hour.
"Little Known Secrets of Paying for College - A Webinar"
A free, community webinar with the College Funding Coach hosted by DRHS PTSO.
OCTOBER 5, 2020
A special program on opioid prevention through community outreach and education hosted by DRHS PTSO.
DEEP RUN HIGH SCHOOL
6:30 PM - 8:30 PM
FEBURARY 25, 2020
We bring you a special program on opioid prevention through community outreach and education initiative in Virginia founded by Olivia Emerson, Assistant United States Attorney & Kimberly Ulmet, Victim/Witness Specialist with the Eastern District of Virginia US Attorney’s Office. The program is a cleverly titled, “Opioid Prevention Initiative: Outreach on Invisible Dangers (O.P.I.O.I.D.) –“Silent No More”.
The “Silent No More” program combines a series of impactful serious real short stories, and first-hand family member accounts with thought-provoking video clips, and integrative, deeply engaging and interactive skits, aimed to relate the opioid epidemic as closely as possible to the students and parents being educated. The intent is to get them to understand that this problem is in their backyard. This epidemic kills, and it could affect any one of us.
Sessions for DRHS students will be held during school-hours and a corresponding presentation is in the evening for parents, guardians and the community, highlighting the neurobiology of addiction and a Q&A session.
- Jenny Derr, Mother, whose son Billy Derr died from opioid overdose
- Jennifer Tolson, Mother, whose son Blaize Torrence died from opioid overdose
- Special Agent James Terpening, Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)
- Olivia Norman, Assistant United States Attorney and District Opioid Coordinator, United States Attorney’s Office, EDVA, Richmond
- Dr. Denise Lester, MD, Board Certified in Pain Management and Anesthesiology, and Board Eligible in Addiction Medicine, Hunter Holmes McGuire Veteran’s Medical Center and VCU/MCV
- Kim Ulmet, Victim/Witness Specialist and District Community Outreach Coordinator, United States Attorney’s Office, EDVA, Richmond
Silent No More is free to attend and is hosted by the DRHS PTSO.Annual community social media forum. hosted by DRHS PTSO.
DEEP RUN HIGH SCHOOL
6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
NOVEMBER 21, 2019
This year we bring you a special panel discussion on social media content and how it can affect your child's future. It will highlight how social media affects your child's mental health, college and job prospects and the potential legal consequences of sharing content.
- Opening - Overview of the top 5 phone apps and what they do
- Breakout Session 1 - The Law
- Breakout Session 2 - Behavioral Health & Work/Life/School
- Finale - Overview of the Dark Web and a Q&A session with all of the panelists
- Host/Emcee - Jeff Wicker, morning show host of Mix 98.1
- Cassie Civil, CarMax Software Developer & Deep Run Alumni
- Shannon Taylor, Commonwealth’s Attorney for Henrico County
- Special Victims Unit, Henrico Police Department
- Michael Shafer, 25 year Experienced Division 1 Basketball Coach
- Danny Paster, Human Resources Director - Altria
- Louis O'Connor & Behvioral Health Associates from Summit Emotional Health
- Detective Stuart VonCanon, Henrico Police Department & FBI Cyber Crime Task Force
No Filter 2.0! is free to attend and is hosted by the DRHS PTSO.
A free, community workshop with the College Funding Coach, hosted by DRHS PTSO.
AUDITORIUM - DEEP RUN HIGH SCHOOL
7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
OCTOBER 7, 2019
OTHER HELPFUL LINKS
- Navigating the Teen Years - A Parent’s Handbook For Raising Healthy Teens
- Parent Handbook for Talking With Teens About Alcohol
- Drug Use Warning Signs
- Little Know Secrets of Paying for College
- Cameron K. Gallagher Foundation Parent Awareness Overview
- Race to Nowhere