"Little Known Secrets of Paying for College - A Webinar"
A free, community webinar with the College Funding Coach.
OCTOBER 5, 2020
For many families, the high cost of higher education is a daunting proposition. Parents lie awake at night trying to figure out how to afford sending 1, 2, 3 or more children to college and still have enough of their hard earned money to be able to retire. Some families have children attending college next year and others have 12 years to plan; but the fears of tackling these monumental and rising costs are the same. The College Funding Coach® is here to help families figure out HOW to pay for it!
Through a nationally renowned educational workshop, Little-Known Secrets of Paying for College you will learn:
- Strategies to attend private universities for the same out of pocket cost as in-state schools
- Effective ways to simultaneously save AND pay for college
- Unique strategies to pay for multiple children attending college at the same time
- An insider’s view of the college admissions process
- How to recapture out of pocket college costs
- Avoid jeopardizing your retirement nest egg
- And much, much more!
Little Known Secrets of Paying for College- A Webinar is free to attend and is hosted by the DRHS PTSO.
PAST EVENTS 2019-2020
A special program on opioid prevention through community outreach and education.
DEEP RUN HIGH SCHOOL
6:30 PM - 8:30 PM
FEBURARY 25, 2020
We bring you a special program on opioid prevention through community outreach and education initiative in Virginia founded by Olivia Emerson, Assistant United States Attorney & Kimberly Ulmet, Victim/Witness Specialist with the Eastern District of Virginia US Attorney’s Office. The program is a cleverly titled, “Opioid Prevention Initiative: Outreach on Invisible Dangers (O.P.I.O.I.D.) –“Silent No More”.
The “Silent No More” program combines a series of impactful serious real short stories, and first-hand family member accounts with thought-provoking video clips, and integrative, deeply engaging and interactive skits, aimed to relate the opioid epidemic as closely as possible to the students and parents being educated. The intent is to get them to understand that this problem is in their backyard. This epidemic kills, and it could affect any one of us.
Sessions for DRHS students will be held during school-hours and a corresponding presentation is in the evening for parents, guardians and the community, highlighting the neurobiology of addiction and a Q&A session.
- Jenny Derr, Mother, whose son Billy Derr died from opioid overdose
- Jennifer Tolson, Mother, whose son Blaize Torrence died from opioid overdose
- Special Agent James Terpening, Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)
- Olivia Norman, Assistant United States Attorney and District Opioid Coordinator, United States Attorney’s Office, EDVA, Richmond
- Dr. Denise Lester, MD, Board Certified in Pain Management and Anesthesiology, and Board Eligible in Addiction Medicine, Hunter Holmes McGuire Veteran’s Medical Center and VCU/MCV
- Kim Ulmet, Victim/Witness Specialist and District Community Outreach Coordinator, United States Attorney’s Office, EDVA, Richmond
Silent No More is free to attend and is hosted by the DRHS PTSO.Join Us for our much awaited annual community social media forum.
DEEP RUN HIGH SCHOOL
6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
NOVEMBER 21, 2019
This year we bring you a special panel discussion on social media content and how it can affect your child's future. It will highlight how social media affects your child's mental health, college and job prospects and the potential legal consequences of sharing content.
- Opening - Overview of the top 5 phone apps and what they do
- Breakout Session 1 - The Law
- Breakout Session 2 - Behavioral Health & Work/Life/School
- Finale - Overview of the Dark Web and a Q&A session with all of the panelists
- Host/Emcee - Jeff Wicker, morning show host of Mix 98.1
- Cassie Civil, CarMax Software Developer & Deep Run Alumni
- Shannon Taylor, Commonwealth’s Attorney for Henrico County
- Special Victims Unit, Henrico Police Department
- Michael Shafer, 25 year Experienced Division 1 Basketball Coach
- Danny Paster, Human Resources Director - Altria
- Louis O'Connor & Behvioral Health Associates from Summit Emotional Health
- Detective Stuart VonCanon, Henrico Police Department & FBI Cyber Crime Task Force
No Filter 2.0! is free to attend and is hosted by the DRHS PTSO.
PAST EVENTS 2019-2020
A free, community workshop with the College Funding Coach.
AUDITORIUM - DEEP RUN HIGH SCHOOL
7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
OCTOBER 7, 2019
OTHER HELPFUL LINKS
- Navigating the Teen Years - A Parent’s Handbook For Raising Healthy Teens
- Parent Handbook for Talking With Teens About Alcohol
- Drug Use Warning Signs
- Little Know Secrets of Paying for College
- Cameron K. Gallagher Foundation Parent Awareness Overview
- Race to Nowhere